Saturday, May 28, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

Prior to this unit it was clear in my mind that I would be following the dominant social practices surrounding prom. I imagined myself renting a tuxedo and a limo, parting with my parents after dark to pick up my date. Then I would romantically take her hand and in the most polite tone ever, greet and reassure her parents (especially her father) that their daughter was in good hands. The limo ride would be fun as we would meet the rest of our friends and pick them up as well, being that we all pitched in for the limo. Then we would arrive and all emerge, all looking spectacular and turning everyone’s heads around us. Beyond that we would dance, drink, be with those we care about, and reminisce on all the great times we shared. This would be both a joyous and dreadful experience for us. I just want to have fun on prom and I want to remember it.

After homework #58 I spoke with a friend of mine who was hungover and did not have a great time because both he and his date were excessively intoxicated. Initially I imagined myself drinking a lot as well, but I now realize that I truly do not want to. I do not want to feel that way where I cannot even have fun. I think I may not drink at all that night. I want to enjoy and remember the night, not think back and only see myself throwing up or being knocked out. This to me is not something memorable.

Based on the photographs it seemed as if everyone had a great time. A dominant social practice that I believe is most necessary during prom, is dressing up. People have complained that prom is overrated and a waste, particularly from a financial standpoint where the cost of the attire can be blamed. Although it is a lot of money, I think it is worth it. I feel like people are provided with a feeling of dominance and importance based on being so well dressed. I imagine that it helps people realize how important of an event the prom really is and allow the emotional impact of prom to be more significant.

One thing that interests me is how those who do not go to prom handle it. Why do these people do not go. Aside from not having a date, the more obvious and emotionally painful reason, why not go? Is it a self conscious thing? Is it money? When school began on Friday I saw three seniors who did not go to prom. When I asked them if they did not go to prom, they replied “we did our own thing.” Truthfully, part of me does not buy this. What of your own thing could you have done rather than going to prom? Why do that instead of prom? There were two people together at first, male and female, so couldn’t they have taken each other, at least as “friends?” If not, the three could have at least attended the after party as a group. I suppose I have my own personal bias given that I value prom’s significance so much, but I do not see what else could be worth missing prom. Then again these people could have had other issues that are far more significant that prom; I am not their peers so I do not know what goes on in their lives. I guess it is not right of me to judge them. I just know that very few things will stop me from attending my prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment