Monday, May 2, 2011

HW 49 - Comments on Best of Your Break HW

From Max,
It is very interesting to me that your "acquaintance" felt like death was not something that should be discussed. Did you know this before you interviewed him? If not how did this in the end help you shape your blog post if it did at all. Overall a very thought provoking post.

From Jay,
Good post, good work. I like your analysis and application of your own opinions. You went into depth and your interviews were gold. Next time, you might wan't to proofread closly because there were a few mess ups.

From Larche,
Thought that getting to hear your peer's views on death from three different perspectives really helped you develop your own thoughts on the subject more. I like how you were able to take what your interviewees said and applied it to your own life and how you see death. The quote "It saddens me that one death can change so much" the interviews were touching and showed how each person was affected by death in their lives and how it has influenced their views on it and changed so much for them. You told each person's story in a way that I could connect to. Good job!

From Tia (protégé),
This was really good and interesting. It really made me think about how short life is. A few saying i liked and found interesting were: "Then again, pain is just a part of life so it may actually be worth the pain." & "If it is an open casket, I want it to be all me, all natural. I do not want makeup making me look any different."
awesome job =]

From Dad (mentor),
Death has always been a scary thought for me mainly for the fact that it is unkown what really happens afterwards. Sure there's a lot of theories out there which many believe in...but who really knows?! That being said, it's equally scary for me to think of leaving my loved ones behind...but I guess we all need to prepare for it, as this is the only sure thing in life! So enjoy it while we're here ;-)

____________________________________________________________________

Jay,
I found your blog very interesting as they tend to be. I feel like being that this is a topic that you actually know less about than the others, your interest allowed you to create deeper questions. I also liked your ideas on how the business is likely a good one since death is an inevitable part of life so there will always be business. “I presume that it is a very profitable industry, being that people die all the time.” Being that I also never though about the care of the dead very much, it never occurred to me how good of a business it must be. I agree with you on your views of the significance of caring for the dead as well, which was evident on the final line of your post. This was a very well written and fun to read post.

Larche,
I found your blog very engaging, as it seemed as if you put a lot of effort into it, particularly the interviews. I however, question the first person when he/she says, “I personally think that cremation is wrong. If there is nothing left of the body you can't say your prayers to it or you won't really have any proof of that being ever living...those burnt up ashes can be ashes of anything or anyone, but with a buried body you actually have proof that someone indeed passed on”. It seems to me that this person may have an issue with their own personal significance in the world, or at least that is how I interpret it. If someone dear to me passed, the last thing I would be doing is questioning their existence or looking for proof. I see it as an insecurity of theirs, so he/she desires physical evidence and wants that to exist when her/his time comes. One thing that you could have done to improve this post is add a personal perspective of some sort, however I felt it was a very strong post overall.

Max,
Unfortunately you seem to have closer experiences with death than most people had and for that I am sorry. Your blog seemed very straightforward and honest. I liked your wording and felt that it is a strong point in your writing that keeps me interested and engaged. In particular, “After this you could see the utter sadness in my fathers face and how emotional of a topic this was for him to speak on. I then asked him if he felt uncomfortable talking about his death.” Your word choice here helped me connect and even remember my tough moments, few as they were, with death. Your style of writing is strong here and helped to strengthen your very personal interviews. I could really feel the emotion that your interviewees, and likely yourself, felt as a result of the assignment. I recommend typing your blogs in word and copying and pasting after to avoid any minor grammar mistakes. Proofreading would also be very helpful. Overall this was a great blog.

Abdul,
I found your style of writing very engaging and I enjoyed reading this post. The connection I have (little shop of horrors) makes the reading more entertaining to me, which helped me pay closer attention to the work. I found it interesting how you were able to share an experience from so long ago and identify your ignorance. I connect to your work again, in the surprise of the cost of the whole funeral process. Reading the book Grave Matters by Mark Harris, there are several things that need to be paid for. It is sad that people have to worry about money while they mourn for their loved ones. Overall I felt that your blog was interesting and engaging however one simple way to strengthen your writing is proofreading. There were some careless grammar and wording errors that could have easily been avoided by simply proofreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment