Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57 - Initial Thoughts on Prom

Prom has actually always interested me. I always wondered about how it came to be what it is today. Based on our class discussions, apparently some people think that it is overrated and “not worth it.” I disagree with this; I think that it serves a certain significance. When discussing it being a “rite of passage” I do not think it is all that important to everyone. Prom should not be referred to as a rite of passage because I do not see how it changes any particular person. Nobody is having growth of any kind because of prom, it is simply an important time in a teenagers life that symbolizes the end of high school. It does not make anyone more of an adult, or less of a child, in any sense. To me this includes sexual interactions because I do not believe that virginity has a direct connection to adulthood, especially in this time period. Sex has become much more of an emotional act in terms of ‘love’ or ‘making love’ and has become something people do for fun rather than to show their affection.

As a child prom has always been something that I looked forward to. It is always portrayed as a very majestic experience for those involved and truthfully I want to see what is so special about it. Emotions are what determine how significant something is and I feel like prom can stir up so many emotions, which is why it is so important to so many people. To me the most emotional aspect would be knowing that it is my final year in high school and I will be parting with people I have gone through so much with. In addition to the four years of high school many students in eleventh grade were there since middle school, sixth grade, and I even have several friends from elementary school. While I do look forward to prom I also dread it to some extent because I do fear losing those that are so close to me.

1. Why do people make the decision not to go to prom?
2. How do different religions experience prom?
3. How has prom evolved throughout time?
4. How significant is sex in relation to prom and why?
5. Why do drugs/alcohol play such an important role to prom night?

No comments:

Post a Comment