Monday, May 16, 2011

HW 55 - Culminating Project - Care of the Dead

The receptionist at Provenzano Lanza Funeral Home Inc. had interesting things to say regarding the care of the dead. Aside from her paying job there, she is studying to be a funeral director herself. Here is the list of questions that were asked by Jay Mcarthy and I:

1. What are your views on embalming, or do you think that it is necessary? Are you aware of the environmental affects?
2. What motivated you to this occupation?
3. How do you want to be cared for when your time comes?
4. What do you think of home funerals?
5. GPL?
6. Do you think people are not knowledgeable enough on matters regarding the care of the dead?

Her responses were not very surprising, as she stated that embalming makes the viewing of the body easier for the family. Also that she is interested in the business because she wants to help the families that need it and make things easier for them. She said that she wanted to be cremated because she did not want people to see her in that state but to remember her from her life. The more interesting response was from the home funeral question where she said that she was personally against it. She wanted to remember the person for them and having it in their home caused a constant reminder of her dead loved one every time she entered the house. The home funeral caused a negative reminder rather that a happy living one. She agreed that people are not as knowledgeable as they should be, however, while somewhat predictable, she had an intriguing comment that people just do not want to know about the care of the dead. She said that people are not comfortable with the topic and prefer not to think about it. The woman also kindly provided us with a list of their GPA.

I have several opposing viewpoints to this woman’s views. I could never truly accept embalming because while it creates an accurate presentation if the passed one, it is not real. The person is no longer in that, seemingly living state; therefore I feel that they should not be portrayed that way. While causing more grief, I feel it would actually end up helping families because they have no choice but to accept the death in such a graphic way. I personally am still undecided on how I would like to be cared for when I pass, however this woman said she wants to be cremated. She did not want people to remember her for how she appeared when she was dead, but to remember the good fun times they shared and what she meant to them.

I found this experience to be fun and significant. Aside from just completing this assignment I got a sense for what someone in the business is like in what came to me as a more honest description. The woman was comfortable and natural in her conversation with Jay and I. She seemed genuinely happy with her position and even shared some things that interested her in the business, like reading coffin magazines as others read car or celebrity magazines. It looked like she really loved what she did.

These are a couple images of the funeral home as well as a cemetery right next to it:


8 comments:

  1. I found your post really interesting and fun to read. I thought home funerals were 'better' than the traditional funeral procedures, but this interview made me think otherwise. A line that caught my attention was, "The home funeral caused a negative reminder rather that a happy living one." I think I rather be remembered for the good times versus the bad, and though I thought at one point that having a personal home funeral would help people move forward after mourning with their own terms-perhaps this does not apply to everyone. Maybe avoiding reality, avoiding the fact that the person they loved has passed away-is the right decision for some. The interview made me re-think about the home funeral idea. This was a nicely written post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rossi,

    I thought that your post was intriguing. I thought it was weird how the woman was aganist home funeral because of the constant reminder that she had a dead loved one in her house, i think that is the best part of a home funeral. It's nice that you had a fun time while doing this project which makes it more engaging. It's funny how the woman buys funeral magazines, i never heard of that before. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post to be interesting. One part i found interesting was when the woman says "she wanted to be cremated because she did not want people to see her in that state but to remember her from her life." I found that part interesting because of past experiences. When my grandfather died I really didn't want to see him, it would've just hurt more. At least with cremation I didn't have to be haunted with the memory of his cold and lifeless face. But yet it is also weird how she was against cremation as well. Great job =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I had a discussion about cremation vs burial just a couple days ago. Although it sounds "nice" to be scattered over the ocean or somewhere significant to you or your loved one during life, it seems to me that really leaves no place to visit...knowing that person physically is six feet below you. I guess we're simply used to the fact of one being able to visit a lost one at an actual location, and not just in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rossi -

    After hearing your speech I was inclined to check out your blog! Something you said while you were presenting to the class was how the experience you had with this woman was much more of a conversation than anything else. It made me think about if now we are biased and assume everyone and anyone involved in the funeral business is soulless and in it for the big bucks. I liked this line, "The woman was comfortable and natural in her conversation with Jay and I. She seemed genuinely happy with her position and even shared some things that interested her in the business, like reading coffin magazines as others read car or celebrity magazines. It looked like she really loved what she did." Although it is hard to imagine how someone could actually feel comfortable in this sort of position it obviously does happen. I enjoyed reading this and hearing you speak about it in class. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rossi,your discussion was very interesting to read for me because you answered the questions which tells everything related to your project.You stand for you opinion and it makes it more interesting.In your interview,people tells you about how they want to be cemented or not.You recorded their opinions which are different!Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rossi,

    I think that it was very interesting that you decided to interview the women that you did. Do you think that having someone to help you with forming your questions helped you shape your post? and also how do you think her being so comfortable in the interview helped you remember key information?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rossi,

    I enjoyed reading your recap of the interview with the women at the funeral home. I liked that you decided to go out and explore this topic more and ask questions to someone who is in the business and knows a lot more. Something I found interesting was the woman's take on home funerals and how she was against them. Since I did my project on home burials which just goes to show that everyone has their own way of dealing with the death process that makes easier for them. That in the end it's all about remembering that person and honoring their life and wishes.

    ReplyDelete