Monday, April 18, 2011

HW 46 - Initial Thoughts on the Care of the Dead

Fortunately I have not had a lot of experience with the care of the dead. This is something that I am not very familiar with or have put much thought into. Although my experiences are very limited I had one that stood out to me. When I went to my best friend’s grandmothers’ funeral, it was open casket. When I saw her, it was as if I was looking at a different person. It was like looking into a broken mirror. There was so much makeup on her and she was so still. It was my first time ever seeing a dead person up close. It was actually scary and although I was expecting something devastating, I felt a distinctive feeling that I cannot describe. It made my stomach turn, and this is what comes to mind when I think about or reminisce on my experiences with the care of the dead.

Generally I do not think that society puts much thought into the care of the dead. Personally, I do not see the significance in this study. I am very interested to see the different aspects of the care and how they contrast. I predict that we will do a lot of investigative work on how religions handle the care of the dead differently. Things that I look forward to are seeing how this unit will be different from the illness and dying unit. It is clear to be that there is a distinction between the topics however I wonder how Andy will make them less related. The thing I really look forward to is doing the end of the unit project, where I will likely do an experiential assignment as I have with the previous units. I am probably even less knowledgeable on the contents of this unit than I had been on the others. This makes me more interested in what I will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment